Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pharyngitis, Inflamed Tonsils, Fever, Bee Sting, Poison Ivy ...

Well I think the title pretty much covers it ... I'm sick.

Since orientation last week (which I must say was just incredible!!), a ton has happened. Once everyone had left for their assignments, a couple of us were "stuck" in Akron until our turn to fly out would come. We moved our stuff up to the Main House and got to spend the week with other MCC volunteers, who are really really awesome people!

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday morning, three of us worked at the Mennonite Resource Centre (I guess it's spelt Center in the US!) making school kits, oil rags and baby hats from old tshirts, packing health kits, and other random jobs too. However on Thursday, I ended up only being able to work for about 30 minutes before my legs wouldn't support me anymore and I got very sick, very fast. I ended up sleeping on the couch while the others worked for the rest of the day.

Wednesday was spent doing grounds work/maintance around the MCC building. We were assigned to pull weeds from 2 of the flower beds, and also remove a patch of poison ivy (which just so happened to be my lucky job). Luckily for me, my body seems to have a very high tolerance to poison ivy and I only managed to get a couple of red spots which did not spread or even itch unless I started scratching them first ... I learned very quickly not to do that! While pulling weeds, we also happened to come across a huge bee nest filled with some VERY angry bees (one of which stung me right beside the ear, ouch!). The most exciting events of the day would have to have been getting to drive the golf cart that they gave us, and seeing 3 huge praying mantasis. I have no idea if that's the spelling or grammatical pluralization of mantasis ... maybe I should find out before I try and teach English!!

Afternoons have been spent (before I got sick of course) researching material and putting together curriculum for our ESL classes that I believe will be starting in October/November. I found out that I will be teaching advanced English 1 and 2, as well as doing an English lab, teaching TOEFL English, and helping out with English Club at the school. It's definitely going to be a challenge!!

Anyways, I need go to take some more painkillers and put the finishing touches on my luggage so that I'm already to leave her in an hour and a half!

Thank you to everyone for your ongoing support and prayers, they truly have been appreciated =)

God be with you all until we meet again,

Katie

2 comments:

  1. With the beginning of summer comes the blooming of trees, gardens and flowers, which in turn attracts bees and wasps of all kinds. But that is not the end of the worry of a sting. Many stings take place during the fall months. Reason being, bees and wasps are cold blooded insects and they linger around people in order to absorb the body heat of humans, therefore increasing the chances of getting stung.

    Last week, I witnessed a 4 year old girl with her hand and forearm swollen to her elbow, from a wasp sting that she received to her fingertip the day before. The sight of her hand and arm brought tears to my eyes because I knew that if she had, had Baker's Venom Cleanser Bee Sting Cure available at http://www.BeeStingCure.com, when she was stung, none of her discomfort would have elevated to that extreme point of swelling and discomfort.

    Our web site has under gone some new additions worth taking a look at. 1988 investigative news video footage by George Ciccarone of Cincinnati's WKRC-TV interviews founder Ray Baker, a pharmacist and others about the effectiveness of Baker's Venom Cleanser on stings in people as the stings occur. This is a must see amazing video about how to cure bee stings with Baker's Venom Cleanser. http://www.YouTube.com/BeeStingCure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie;
    Talked to your parents last Sunday nite, they
    said you were enroute and soon to arrive in Chad. Hope your marathon flight path wasnt
    half as gruelling as your week of orientation (and stingbites) in Akron!
    Just wanted to let you know you are in our thoughs and prayers. Love Jen and Ron

    ReplyDelete